SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Monday, December 6, 2010

Oh Cyrus -- the Great Recycler

Two updates in one day -- more good news to be thankful for. 

There is a book in this one, maybe a series.   This update is in fact excerpted from a much longer tale called "Oh Cyrus!".  

I have began to refer to Cyrus as the "Great Recycler". Clearly, he gets just as upset as I do about the constant junk mail arriving at the house everyday. In fact, he dislikes it so much that he has developed a very firm position on it.


Each day the mail comes after I get home from work. As I hear the sliding door on the mail truck I feel a cold chill down my spine. Cyrus-who is normally watching me (watching him) lolls his tongue to dare me to get the the mail slot first. We wait each other out...

Tension is building....

I bolt for the door and he bolts first-EVERYDAY. Personally, I think 4 feet vs 2 is an unfair contest. I should at least get a head start! As Cyrus runs for the door, the other animals panic and try to get out of the way. I have seen one of the cats actually try and climb drywall to keep from being mowed down.

Once Cyrus gets to the mail slot he takes it all in his big mouth (slobber and all) and starts to shake it back and forth. At this point, I have to take it-and he knows it. My only goal is to get the important mail (usually bills so I should really just skip it), but Cyrus likes to keep it and demolish it. Minutes pass as we are locked in this daily tussle. Eventually (being the good dog that he is) he relents and gives me the mail. In return, I give him the junk mail to tear up. Once it is torn into tiny little pieces, it breaks down into garden compost easier. Even while Cyrus is having a good time he is respecting the environment-that's great recycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment