SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Celebrate!


Happy National Poertry Month!   In honor of this  Illustrious event I reread So, What's it Like to be a Cat, a fun book written in verse by Karla Kuskin and illustrated by Betsy Lewin (Click Clack Moo).   The boy asks his friend, "So, what's it like to be a cat," and the feline narrator replies "I'm very glad you asked me that," and goes on in great detail to explain his preferences and actions.   In one of my favorite passages the cat answers the boy's question in this exchange,

We know you live with people. 'Ah yes...a few'  Do you like them? Do they like you?
With my catlike dignity
it never has occurred to me
to wonder what they think of me.
At times they're dumb.
At times they're sweet.
they balance nicely on their feet.
I do not think that I could do
as well on merely two.




No comments:

Post a Comment