SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Third Graders Welcome Nigel

Nigel enjoys multiple pats while posing with his third grade friends.
Nigel and I recently visited Ms. Nolan and Ms. Kennedy's third graders at John Burroughs Elementary School.   The girls and boys learned about domestic animal care, and they introduced me to a story about living harmoniously with wildlife, Two Days in May by Harriet Peck.

In the story, Two Days in May, the people showed respect toward the animals because they were trying to get the animals a new home.   I think the people didn't want to upset the animals.  They did not want to harm the animals.  They love the deer.  They showed that they were being kind because they were taking care of the deer.   -- Antoine.

In the story Two Days in May, the people showed respect and kindness toward the animals because they didn't hurt or kill them.  The people took very good care of them.   The animals are very loving and sweet.  The animal control came and shot the deer with a tranquilizer.  The animal control took the deer to their parents..  -- Henniya

Based on Antoine, Henniya and others' recommendation, I definitely want to read Two Days in May. Based on our discussion on companion animal care, some of the students realized that, although they would like to live with a cat or dog, they may not be in a position to do so.

I can't take care of an animal because I don't have money for food, leash, collar, a microchip and toys. -- Michael

I don't know if I could take of an animal because I have to spend a lot of money on food, toys and a place to sleep.  -- Elmer

I wish that more adults would consider the cost and time involved in caring for a companion animal.  Perhaps then they would make more responsible decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment