SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Serendipity!

I don't typically come to the League on Sunday, but my old cat, Micky, is suffering from kidney failure so I brought him by for fluids. (Most people whose animals need fluids are perfectly capable of administering them at home, but since I'm needle-phobic and work with the very best veterinary technicians in the world, I routinely bring him to the Medical Center.)
Anyway, when I got to the League I expected to sneak into the hospital and then quietly leave without being seen; however,  Natalie our adoptions manager, said that I should meet the three girls who just dropped off $171.00!   They raised the money by selling their toys -- lots of kids sell their stuff so they have money to buy new stuff, but this good-hearted trio, and a number of their friends, held the sale along -- with a lemonade stand -- to specifically raise money for the animals at the League.
And, the story gets better -- when I met Audrey, Elise, Fiona and their mom, I learned that this wasn't their first effort to help the animals at the League. They had done it before!  They told shoppers that the money raised was going to benefit the cats and dogs at the League, and asked shoppers to pay what they wanted.  Of course, when shoppers learned that the toy-sellers were not just entrepreneurs, but philanthropists too, they pitched in a little extra.  It probably didn't hurt business that Juneau, a WARL alum, was there to help with sales.   The photo and caption below are courtesy of the Silver Spring Avenue "Super- Fantastic, Animal Loving "  Crew (words in quotes added by me!).  
The Silver Spring Ave. kids hosted a toy sale and lemonade stand to benefit WARL. (From the left, Leo, Harry, Audrey, Bella, Fiona, Emma, Raphael, Elise.)  And Juneau, a WARL alum. This is the second time we’ve done a fundraising sale for WARL. We love helping out. WARL is a really great place because they never give up on any of the animals and the people that work there do everything they can to make the animals happy.- the Silver Spring Ave. crew

I'm sad that Micky's kidneys are failing, but had I not brought him to the Medical Center for fluids on Sunday, I would not have met  three members (plus mom and a neighbor) of the Silver Spring Avenue "Super- Fantastic, Animal Loving "  Crew,  THANK YOU, Fiona, Audrey, Elise, Leo, Harry,  Bella,  Emma, Raphael  - and, Juneau!!  And, thanks Fiona, Audrey and Elise for giving a deserving dog a wonderful forever home!!


No comments:

Post a Comment