SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Friday, September 21, 2012

Thank you Anonymous Book Buyer


A couple of years ago one of our wonderful volunteers, Frank D., gave  me a book, May I Pet Your Dog? -- the How-to Guide for KIDS Meeting DOGS (and DOGS Meeting KIDS), by Stephanie Calmesnon.  Harry, a long-haired, chocolate-dappled dachshund takes a nameless  boy, and readers, on a walk in the neighborhood where many dogs, and their people are properly met. Harry is forthright with sound, practical  advice -- When you see me coming, ask my owner, "May I pet your dog?"  
I decided to purchase the book for every school that I visit.  May I Pet Your Dog? -- the How-to Guide for KIDS Meeting DOGS (and DOGS Meeting KIDS), and many other wonderful picture books, and chapter books, highlighting relationships between companion animals and people are featured on the League's recommended reading lists.   The reading lists are given to educators.  Many of the books on the lists are posted on our wish list.   Yesterday, for the first time ever, a box came from Amazon for me.  In it was a copy of May I Pet Your Dog? -- the How-to Guide for KIDS Meeting DOGS (and DOGS Meeting KIDS) and a copy of one of my all-time favorite books, My Big Dog by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens Crummel.  My Big Dog is a fun read about friendship and it is narrated by one very cantankerous cat named Merl.  My cat, Merl, who just happens to be in my office today, was named for the bossy brown tabby in the story.  We adopted Merl nearly 11-years ago, and at that time, I was reading My Big Dog to my then nearly 4-year-old son, Max.   Both of these wonderful books will be given to West Education Campus, where the principal, Ms. Caruthers, is working very hard to build an extensive library for her students.  Thank you kind book angel for surprising me with two of my favorite books that I can now pass on young animal-loving readers.  

Any of the books listed throughout the blog would be TERRIFIC  additions to any personal or lending library.


No comments:

Post a Comment