SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Monday, March 1, 2010

Forever Jailed!

I grew up in Miami, Florida. One of the most exciting places to go back then was the Seaquarium. My friends and I loved to watch the sea animals in their "environment". We made sure to schedule our visits around the dolphin and killer whale (Orca) shows.

I cared about animals back then; I marveled at the beauty and the intelligence of those "performing" animals. Why did it take me so long to recognize that those animals, jailed in circular tubs for my amusement, belonged in the ocean, less than a few blocks away? A whale in the ocean swims for miles and miles. A whale held captive swims in circles, around and around in a "water-cage" day-in and day-out.
In the wild Orca whales live on the average 50 years, or more, with some geriatric whales living 80 years! Captive whales rarely make it to 30. In the wild, Orcas ignore humans. In captivity, more than 20 Orcas have been labeled true people "killers".
Recent headlines tell a story.

It is a very sad story for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment