SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Sick Day for Amos McGee Wins Prestigious Award

I have not read A Sick Day for Amos McGee, so I am not in a position to criticize.   But I will --  sort of.  This book, illustrated by Erin E. Stead and written by her husband Philip C. Stead, won the Caldecott Award for 2011 -- that puts it in the same company as Officer Buckle and Gloria, one of my very favorite picture books.     I am opposed to books depicting zoos as happy-go-lucky places.  Even whimsical drawings that bear no resemblance to actual animals can subliminally give the impression that caged animals are happy.  I do not believe that to be true..

No comments:

Post a Comment