SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A fur Coat is Not Enough!


When I went outside at 8:00 a.m. this morning to get into my car it was 18 degrees. I was dressed in my warmest clothes, my heaviest coat, a long thick scarf and fleece mittens -- AND I WAS STILL FREEZING! It took forever for the car to warm up. It didn't really feel comfortable until I was just a couple of minutes away from the Washington Animal Rescue League. I mention what I was wearing and how cold I was because I often hear people say, "The cat has a fur coat, he's fine" or "the dog's wearing his winter coat, he doesn't feel the cold". Not true. They aren't fine and they absolutely do feel the cold.

My dog, Nigel, and I walk every morning. We walked very quickly this morning. He didn't seem to mind the freezing temperature -- but, he was only out for 15 minutes, not an hour and 15 minutes and surely not 8 hours and 15 minutes!!

This weather is brutal. Keep your animals inside and report any animal that left is outside to the Washington Humane Society, 202 723-5730. If you see a homeless person on the streets during this arctic blast, call 1-800-535-7252. Both numbers are answered 24 hours a day. If you are traveling and see an animal or person who needs help call information -411- and ask for the numbers of animal control or the local animal welfare agency and the hypothermia hotline. Help make the holidays warm and bright for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment