SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T
IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT AN ANIMAL IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA,
PLEASE CALL ANIMAL CONTROL,
202-576-6664
OUR OFFICERS ARE AVAILABLE TO HELP 24/7



Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holiday Reading

Here's what I'm reading during the winter break -- Listen! by Stephanie Tolan and The Leanin' Dog by K.A Nuzum. The story line in both novels focuses on girls who find stray dogs. So far, that's all I know. It is a universal story. Animals are abandoned, people want to take care of them. Several years ago Because of Winn Dixie was that girl finds dog book. It was, and rightly so, a huge success. Because of Winn Dixie is still one of my all-time favorite dog stories.


I can't, however, seem to find many books featuring abandoned cats. I wrote one nearly 20 years ago --William's Story. I have seen many abused, neglected and abandoned cats -- and their endings are typically not happy. I had trouble writing an ending for the book. I felt that I would not be telling the truth if I wrote a happy ending, where William finds a wonderful forever home. I also did not want to leave the reader sad and without hope by having something horrible happen to William. So, I left the ending up to the reader.


I am hoping that Listen! and The Leanin' Dog have happy endings. I'm also hoping that someone will recommend a good cat book or two so I can even out my holiday reading. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment